Back to Top

Cimo Calls for Five Additional School Resource Officers

Following the announcement at last week's preliminary budget unveiling at the Orchard Park School Board meeting that one (1) School Resource Officer ("SRO") was budgeted for 2019, School Board Candidate Ryan Cimo expressed concern about the lack of full-coverage at each District building.

"In a District with six (6) buildings and an annual operating budget exceeding $100,000,000, surely we can, and must find a way to fully secure each District building with a trained SRO," Cimo said.

Under the proposed plan to add just one SRO, the District would work with the Orchard Park Town Board to institute a cost-sharing arrangement, whereby the Town would fund 25% of the annual cost and the District the other 75%. Each SRO is estimated to cost approximately $130,000 per year.

"Simply securing one building does nothing to help protect the students and teachers at the other five. History has shown us that school shootings are not exclusive to high schools, but rather have impacted every level including elementary, middle and high school," stated Cimo.

Cimo encouraged concerned residents of Orchard Park to attend the school safety forum hosted by the Orchard Park Police Department and School District.  The event will take place on April 25th in the Middle School Auditorium at 7pm.

"Parents need to continue to make their voices heard that school safety and the protection of our students and teachers is priority #1," said Cimo.


Committee to Elect Ryan Cimo
Powered by CampaignPartner.com - Political Websites